Thursday, January 10, 2008

If you can't browse a bookstore, where do you look for crime, mysteries, and thrillers

This post is going to concentrate on crime/mystery/thrillers and true crime.

In a previous post I mentioned that I find it difficult to browse big box bookstores. You are more likely to find the latest James Patterson bestseller featured than, say, Irish crime/mystery writers. Speaking of Patterson, I need to make a detour and point to this hilarious take on his latest, You've Been Warned, over at Natural/Artificial . Be sure you don't miss the list of last sentences in each chapter below the jump.

When I go to one of these stores I have lists and almost never make a spontaneous purchase. Well, I almost bought Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff but that's because it practically leaped off the shelf and tackled me. The cover is a bright yellow vinyl and it's 9.5 inches high - really hard to miss on a shelf of paperbacks when your eyes pass over it. I got it from our public library instead.

So, where do I get authors and titles for my lists? Blogs. There are terrific bloggers who cover the crime/mystery/thriller genres and from whom I have learned about authors I likely would not otherwise have discovered.

Below are links from my Google Reader. First you will find the sources I go to to read about fiction. Following that are links to true crime sites that often discuss books. I also included a non-blog book review website, Gumshoe Review, and a social network, Crimespace.

These are not meant to be inclusive lists of blogs and web sites. Suggestions are always welcome.

Titles following a link are ones that I remember learning about from the blog. There are a lot more, they just don't come to mind as I write.

FICTION

Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind

Crime Always Pays The Judas Heart, Ingrid Black; The Redbreast, Jo Nesbo

Crime Down Under

Crime Fiction Dossier

Detectives Beyond Borders: A Forum for International Crime fiction

Euro Crime

It's A Crime! (or a Mystery)

Killer Year

Material Witness - serous about crime fiction

Maxine's Book Reviews

Mystery Scene

Petrona - In the Woods, Tana French

Shotsmag Confidential

Sons of Spade

The Hungry Detective

The Outfit: A Collective of Chicago Crime Writers - Chicago Blues, Libby Fischer Hellman, ed.

The Rap Sheet

Working Stiffs: Where Crime Writers Talk About Life, Work, and Murder


TRUE CRIME

Crime Rant: Deliberating Crime Coast to Coast

CLEWS The Historic True Crime blog - The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases, E. J. Wagner.

Criminal Conduct .. Blogging Crime in 4/4 Time ..

In Cold Blog

True Crime Blog UK

True Crime Magazine


WEB SITES AND SOCIAL NETWORKING

The Gumshoe Review

Crimespace: A place for readers and writers of crime fiction to meet